Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week one


Wow-- I wasn't lying about my ignorance. After one week, it's been thrown into sharp relief how non-pop my music collection is. I've probably listened to A Senile Animal a hundred times, and I consider it a great album full of accessible rock songs that most people would probably like... and all of my friends agree the Melvins are awesome, but they're a world away from the stuff that climbs the Billboard charts.

So far, so good, I'd say. I'm enjoying my little experiment, even if I haven't really dug the songs that got picked. I am thinking I'll add another song to the listing: #99. This week, the upper numbers 3 and 17 were fairly slow and kind of weepy, and it wasn't until #51 that a was less interested in crying into a beer and more keen to actually drink one. Well, maybe not a beer. Maybe an appletini.

Regardless, I'm hoping the jump in energy between 3 and 51 is similar to the difference between 51 and 99. Of course, this is all arbitrary... it's my first week, so I can't really see any trends in the chart positions yet, but I am looking forward to how different songs line up in the charts.

I also haven't given up hope that, as the weeks move on, I'll find a song that I won't immediately delete from my mp3 player. In the first week, I'm 0 for 3.

Last-- anyone have a good place to play these songs-- as of right now, my play link is invariably YouTube... but I'm listening to songs, not watching videos, and I think videos change things a little.  I'm only listening to these songs... I haven't watched the movies set to music where the singer cast themselves as the heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment