Monday, January 10, 2011

3OH!3 - Hit It Again

Fairly important: the formatting on this post goes to hell in most feeds, and it will be best read at ericonthecharts.blogspot.com

Okay everybody: Keytar dance party!  Whee!

3OH!3
Hit It Again
Sleaze
#33 (LoMid)
Dec 30, 2010
Sean Foreman
Nathaniel Motte
Artist:
Play:
Style:
Billboard:
Week of:
Writer (s):

If a song ever conjured the image of guys trying to look cool playing keytars, this is it.

This group seems like they're trying to create Motley Crue-style promiscuity rock out of hilariously chaste and wimpy synth pop. Everything about this song sounds like a middle-school boy bragging about nonexistent sexual exploits. From the tragically autotuned “I'll make you say Ooh!” intro to the “Woah oh!” chorus, this song is using its dad's shaving cream and razor even though it doesn't even have peachfuzz to shave: it wants to show you how grown up it is, but using “fuck” in the chorus can't undo the fact that the little kids named their band 3OH!3.

(note the exclamation point)

This is now, that was then
You broke my heart
I let you in
This is now, that was then
I fucked around
with all your friends
Woah oh, woah oh
Woah oh oh oh
Woah oh, woah oh
Woah oh oh oh
This is now, that was then
Forget all about the past
and let's hit it again
Near as I can make out, the narrative thrust of this song is: our singer is a wanton ass who fucked his way through all of his ex's girlfriends, and the girl in question broke his heart after he “let her in,” so she obviously deserves that kind of thing. Time has passed, however, and the sleazy manchild is up for another tumble because, hey, heartbreaker on not, he'd like to hit it again.

Can't imagine why she'd need so much convincing. Especially since she's definitely real. You just haven't met her because she lives in Canada. This guy's totally had sex before.

I figure that's the gist... but for the life of me I can't decipher how the opening verse fits in. What the hell does “I got the dirty ol' hands of a drummer in a band but I never really hit the sticks. I got the sunburn tan of every working man who spent a minute in a ditch” have to do with the It he devotes the song to hitting again? Is he trying to tell us how tough he is (even though he's neither a drummer nor a day laborer)? More importantly, how does it relate to the Woah Ohs?

That kind of incoherent posturing makes me wonder about our narrator... he's obviously a total badass, and we know he fucked around with all this girl's friends, but I wonder how she broke his heart. Maybe she told him his hair looked silly... that'd be hard on this guy, but it's the kind of heartbreak you have to survive if you want to grow up to be My Darkest Days.

Musically, I suppose I have to give it some credit for doing a little something with rhythm; especially in the verses, someone put some effort into the synths and the beats. When the chorus hits, though... that's when I imagine the keytars coming out: Keytar dance party! Eurodisco bounce, everybody! Wheee!

er... I mean... “Woah oh!” I don't think the guy with the sunburn tan of every working man wants to acknowledge that his chorus is “Wheee!” and sounds like it's meant to be embraced by the mustache and short-shorts crowd.

The first time that chorus broke, it made me laugh pretty hard... but I'm not giving this one a pass for unintentional hilarity. This song's multi-layered bad-- it makes me want to strangle the singer, and musical shift in the chorus only made me laugh because it's so glaringly awful.

Stay with the song, walk away, or run like hell:

No comments:

Post a Comment